The Woman’s Club is credited with providing the first public library service.
The W.P.A. (Works Progress Administration) maintained a library as one of the federal government’s recovery projects following the Great Depression.
The first publicly supported library service began when a “Library Committee” raised $9.10 by raffling off a donated table to open an account. Small donations from the city and county governments, the city and county boards of education, civic clubs, and individuals covered payment of rent, the librarian’s salary of $1.00 a day, supplies, and the purchase of books for children and adults.
The library taxing district established by petition.
Logan County Public Library opened in August at 201 West Sixth Street in Russellville, Kentucky, with branches in Adairville, Auburn, and Lewisburg. The building was constructed with federal and state funds as well as a grant from the Thomas P. deGraffenried bequest to the city of Russellville designated “for the education of the people at large therein.” Prior to this, limited library services were offered from a shared bookmobile and locations in the Russellville High School basement, the Woman’s Club building, above a doctor’s office, the armory, and the Old Southern Bank of Kentucky where the Jesse James gang pulled off a bank robbery in 1868.
An addition that almost doubled the size of the Russellville branch to 11,538 square feet was completed.
Services continually changed to meet user needs and to embrace new opportunities as modern technology continued to develop. Space usage underwent a number of changes to accommodate those services. These changes, along with consistently increasing usage, resulted in the new building at 225 Armory Drive.
The community-led strategic plan that is the foundation of the library’s goals and objectives was updated. More information can be found here.